Re: [Amps] Low ESR caps for amp power supplies

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Low ESR caps for amp power supplies
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 16:40:39 -0500
Follow up to my original posting on filter caps.

Right in the midst of all of this I am getting an unplanned visitor
so my apologies for the slow response.  Need to get this place
looking civilized!

I received many on-line and off-line responses including some offers
to sell me caps.  I probably should have added some better explanations
for my requirements.  A dozen caps won't work for me since I have
a short term need for 60 or so to build up 6 power supplies.  And a
longer term need for an additional 100 caps.  So whatever I buy needs
to be available in quantity since I plan on laying out a circuit board for
the caps and resistors and I only want ONE design based on some
standardized cap.  I also require that the caps be the more modern,
much smaller electrolytics like in the Alpha amps.  Those have always
been very reliable.

There are a LOT of caps out there for $8 to $10 and I could go with them.
What I was hoping to discover was some source of new, or new surplus
caps that got the price down to the $5 or less range.

At this point I probably need to sell something else before I can buy
this many caps.  This is a "self-funding" (TM) project!  Fortunately I
have some of the more expensive items -- like all of the transformers
and diode modules, plus relays, etc.  Only thing I need are the caps
and equalizing/bleeder resistors.   Once I do this little production
project I will have all of the power supplies for all of my VHF/UHF amps
as well as for my HF monobanders.  I had originally planned to use
some oil-filled caps but they weigh over 100 pounds each and have
PCBs!   ;-(

No one has come up with a "secret" source with sub-$5 caps so I
guess I need to keep watching eBay and/or bite the bullet and buy
some caps from one of the major vendors.  Maybe my quantities
will be large enough to get a decent price.

Thanks -- John  W0UN