Re: [Amps] QSK or not

To: Amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] QSK or not
From: Joe Isabella <n3ji@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 07:04:43 -0800 (PST)
I use both the RF Gain and a slower AGC on the receiver.  There is virtually NO
noise between elements that way.  Same with SSB -- it's better than squelch.  I
use a lot of attenuation, RF Gain, and a medium AGC.  There's almost no noise
when nobody is talking.

  Joe, N3JI

Paul Christensen <w9ac@arrl.net> wrote:
  > frequency, perhaps they shouldn't be transmitting! Or perhaps the RF
> gain is turned up too high...

That's a significant factor on the low bands. On 160M-40M, I generally run
the RF gain back to about S8 or S9 and this makes QSK much more enjoyable
for me.

Paul, W9AC