Re: [Amps] RFI - Small Home Network?

To: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] RFI - Small Home Network?
From: RCM <robrk@nidhog.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 23:55:34 -0500
W2RU - Bud Hippisley wrote:

>Tim Long wrote:
>

>>I would like to set up a small home network of 4 to 5 computers
>>scattered throughout the house, including 2 in the shack.  I am
>>connected to the internet through a cable modem and a PC running
>>Smoothwall before I get to this machine.  Should I use CAT5?  Wireless?
>>Thin Ethernet if I can find cards with BNC connectors?  Will computer
>>noise bother the reception?  Will the RF bother the network?
>>

>My recommendation --
>
>Use an 802.11g wireless LAN.
>
>I used to have CAT5 Ethernet for my 5 desktop PCs, but the long ethernet
>cables act as antennas for the circuitry in the router / switch, and you
>wind up with some huge modulated carriers in the middle of many of the
>HF ham bands.  To get rid of this noise, you must filter EVERY ethernet
>cable at BOTH ends!  I couldn't afford the filters or the space to bring
>that many ferrites and cable loops to my 8-port switch.
>
>My family currently has five desktops and three laptops on a wireless
>LAN using an inexpensive D-Link hub.  I have one VERY SHORT filtered
>ethernet cable between the DSL modem and the D-Link, which sit next to
>each other in the center of the house.
>
>I run 1500 watts output, 160 - 10 (except for the WARC bands, where I
>don't have an amplifier).  All of my antennas are within 100 feet of the
>hub and computers.  I no longer hear ethernet carriers and if there's
>any junk from the wireless LAN, it's so low I am not bothered by it
>compared to other stuff, like PC power supplies.  If I bothered the
>internet access, I'd hear about it from my family immediately!
>
>I now have a bunch of useless 50-foot lengths of CAT5 cable still lying
>behind desks, tables, benches, etc.  I built up my wireless adapter
>collection by watching the weekly specials at Circuit City, Best Buy,
>and CompUSA, and also found some stuff at Amazon.  With astute shopping
>you shouldn't have to pay more for the WLAN parts than you would for
>pre-assembled ethernet cables.
>
>One plus of the WLAN, of course, is the remarkable freedom you get with
>a laptop.  On the other hand, you may have to establish ground rules for
>when/where laptops can be taken in the house if you have kids.
>
>Caveats:
>
>I don't do any serious VHF/UHF weak signal work here, so I have no idea
>if the 802.11g causes any problems in that part of the spectrum.
>
>I've had a little more difficulty keeping the WLAN from "losing itself"
>than I have the ethernet setup.  Occasionally I have to "repair" the
>wireless connection to one or more PCs.  It's infrequent enough that I
>haven't taken the time to figure out the source of the difficulty.
>
>Regardless of advertising claims, the practical limit for 802.11g
>indoors is about a 50-foot radius from the hub.  It varies primarily
>with the number and type of interior and exterior walls the signal has
>to go through.  My house is a rambling contemporary consisting of three
> [...]
I agree with the wireless ideas. I do it with no HF noise.
Read up on settings for security and encription, unless your neighbors
are 100 yards away.
Houses here are on 3/4 acre lots, and I can sit in the family room with
my new 802 Palm PDA and "work" two neighbors with open systems.
(I'm not going to tell them...might need it someday.)
My kid comes home with her Mac Powerbook and does five.
Do you need QSL's for WAS....Worked all Starbucks ?