Re: [Amps] Calibrate a panel meter?

To: <amps@contesting.com>, "Bill Turner" <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Calibrate a panel meter?
From: Karl-Arne Markström <sm0aom@telia.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 20:32:10 +0100
Usually panel meters in this range starts life as 5 mA FS movements, and then
an internal shunt resistor
provides the final FS value.
It has been reported that the permanent magnets in d'Arsonval meter movements
can lose
their flux with age, so old panel meters often can read somewhat low.

An internal adjustable magnetic shunt is often provided in moving coil
movements, and by decreasing
the shunting action, the calibration can sometimes be restored.

If the magnetic shunt range should prove to be insufficient, the remaining
remedy is to remove the internal shunt resistor,
and provide an external shunt with the proper value to get the advertised full
scaled current.

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM