Re: [Amps] Bird 43 Blown / Repair ?

To: K7XQ <k7xq@elite.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Bird 43 Blown / Repair ?
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@ic24.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 21:22:57 +0100
K7XQ wrote:

>Hello All,
> I think I made a mistake yesterday during the EME Contest. I
>accidentally
>left a 500 watt slug in the meter and keyed the power meter with over
>1 kW and I think I blew out the meter. I tried acouple more slugs
>and no movement of the meter is no longer found.

I wonder if that's likely to have blown the meter. The meter fsd is
30uA, the extra power will probably result in a current about twice that
- I can't imagine 60uA burning a meter movement out. Maybe repeated
hammering on the end stop might damage something, but it has to be worth
checking the movement. A 1.5V battery and 100k resistor should give
about 50% reading. -ve is the chassis and you can pick up the +ve on the
connector tag where the slug plugs in, or pop the back off and go to the
meter terminals directly.

Steve