Re: [Amps] Nuclear Magnetic Pulses

To: "Harold B. Mandel" <ka1xo@juno.com>,"amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Nuclear Magnetic Pulses
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 02:26:52 +0100
Harold B. Mandel wrote:
> Sirs (and Ladies, of course),
>
> Mention was made in recent posts about EMP.
>
> Other than lightning damage, which can be relatively
> protected against by disconnection of antennae, telephone
> lines, a.c. power lines, etc., what are the consequences
> of an aerial nuclear burst in the ionosphere, and how
> can we protect out equipment when not in use?
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Hal Mandel
> W4HBM

I know a bit about this, having worked in the area for some time.

Essentially large currents are induced in exposed conductors. So the way
to protect equipment is to have it in a Faraday cage - even one made
from tin-foil would work quite well to protect equipment you are not using.

To operate equipment, you must have

1) The Faraday cage to prevent induced currents.

then protect any cables entering the faraday cage, so they can't
conductor the unwanted energy inside.

For that you would use.

2) Spark gamp
3) Voltage dependant resistor