Re: [Amps] Source for 8877 amp input tuning coil needed

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Source for 8877 amp input tuning coil needed
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@ic24.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:59:10 +0100
Joe Barger wrote:
> I'm working on a "classic" W6PO 144 MHz 8877 amp
> (http://web.wt.net/~w5un/8877-1.htm) .  The input tuning circuit calls for L1
> to be wound on a 1/2" diameter form with a white tuning slug (CTC 1538-4-3) .
>   Does anyone know where I can find this particular form?  Or a reasonable
> replacement?  The amp currently just has the coil and some unknown ferrite
> rod stuck in the middle and can't get the SWR between the amp and driver
> below 3:1.
I ran one of these for many years in a contest station. Forget the slug
tuning, wind two coils the same as the airspaced one, and stretch/sqeeze
them, rewind if necessary until you find a good input match. The amp has
now moved on and I can't remember what we ended up with, but I do recall
it wasn't difficult or critical to set up.

If you search the archives I gave a similar reply to the same question
quite a while ago - I might have given the winding info. back then.

Steve