Re: [Amps] ARF1505

To: "Steve Thompson" <g8gsq@ic24.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] ARF1505
From: "Dr. William J. Schmidt, II" <bill@wjschmidt.com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 00:03:34 -0500
A couple of things here.  I've used these for class AB amps, and they can be
made pseudo linear... but only by running them at reduced voltage.  Like all
MOSFETs they have a negative temp. coef.  The q. drain current therefore
increases as the temperature of the junction increases.  What typically
happens is, at full voltage (temperature directly related to voltage)... the
heat conduction properties of the substrate overwhelm the properties of the
device case... and therefore the device is unstable... and, of course, leads
to non-linearity.  By operating the device at 30-50% of the maximum voltage,
this problem is solved... at least the gate shift can be compensated.  One
other thing I remember... the leakage reactance of the device is much higher
than other MOSFETs we deal with... of order 18 uh.... making input matching
a bit of a challenge for anything other than narrow bandwidths.

Sincerely,

Dr. William J. Schmidt, II  K9HZ
Trustee of the North American QRO - Central Division Club - K9ZC

Email: bill@wjschmidt.com
WebPage: www.wjschmidt.com

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee; that
will do them in."  -- Bradley's Bromide