Re: [Amps] New Command Technologies Amp

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] New Command Technologies Amp
From: cherokeehillfarm@earthlink.net
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:16:56 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
The new magnum will be an FCC approved version of his earlier 2500HP, which
featured the 3CPX800A7, two triodes, and a 3,5 KV power supply.  This amp
basically has the power supply from the 2500E, and two tubes, instead of three.
I can't say exactly how much potential will be on the plates, but it will
probably be at least 3.2 KV.

The CPX tubes are run right up to their flashover point, of 7KV, if you figure
RF peak volts at 2X DC anode voltage of 3.5 KV.

My estimate is that this amp will output at least 3 KW into a 50 ohm dummy load
with little effort.

There are many of the older 2500HP amps out there, and they seem to do quite
well.  This new magnum will have his latest near QSK switching, which will also
be a nice upgrade over his older control board, with one relay switching bias
voltage and driving the RF transfer relay.  There will be no vacuum relay
option.

I'm just converting one of Pat's amps now over to a pair of Gigavac units to
speed up the switching and eliminate hot switching problems.  The older system
is not suitable for VOX in my estimation, let alone QSK.  The newer board is
supposed to eliminate these issues, but is still not true QSK speed.  I have a
copy of the newer control board circuit here somewhere, I have to review it
again.

His RF deck does tune nicely, and smoothly with the high voltage and lower
drive requirements.  I'm just converting my unit from CX to CPX to avoid issues
with the operation of the finals above 2.5 KV.  I'm operating the deck at 3.25
KV, and it works very well indeed.

Regards,

Mike Schatzberg
WB2AJI