Re: [Amps] 4CX350 distortion products?

To: craxd1@ezwv.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4CX350 distortion products?
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2005 18:55:35 +0100
Will Matney wrote:
> Hmmm,
>
> I was thinking someone on here a while back mentioned it was the same tube
> but was beefed up a bit about the cooling. I dont have the spec sheet so was
> going on recollection. I've never used one in an amp so cant comment further.
> Thanks for letting me know.
>
> Best,
>
> Will

There are spec sheets on my web site http://www.g8wrb.org/ for several
of the 4CX250 and 4CX350 series tubes. There are huge differences.

There are of course various models, but briefly one might state

350 series take higher anode voltage
350 series uses higher screen voltage
350 series needs more heater current
350 series needs far less control grid bias.
350 series have a grid dissipation of 0W, whereas the 250's don't.

So apart from the physical size/shape, I don't think they have too much
in common. I think generally the 350 series are more linear, but check
the data sheets.

PS, the 4CX350FJ is supposed to produce less IMD products than the
4CX350A or F, but as someone pointed out, data is given at reduced
output power, so how well they fare when run at the same level of output
power as a 4CX350A or 4CX350F I do not know.

http://www.g8wrb.org/data/Eimac/4CX350FJ.pdf

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
G8WRB