[Amps] Useful chip for power supply and relay sequencing

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Useful chip for power supply and relay sequencing
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:48:01 +0100
Maxim have a couple of interesting chips (MAX6870 MAX6871), which are
designed for monitoring and sequencings requirements in multi voltage
systems. You could perhaps use one to check the anode supply is on
before switching the screen grid of a tetrode on.

They have 4 general purpose logic inputs, 6 inputs to A/D's which
monitor voltage (only one can be negative) and 8 logic outputs.

http://www.maxim-ic.com/products/supervisors/reset_sequencers.cfm

You can program (via a serial I^2C bus) what the limits of operating on
each supply are, set delays so not all supplies come on at once. I could
see it being useful for relay sequencing too, as you can set delays for
change overs etc.

The nice thin about Maxim is their generous samples policy. I think they
will let you have up to about 8 IC'sday, and courier them to you free of
charge! There's a limit of 3 or so of the one type, but there are ways
around that (order a standard + a MIL spec part, so the part numbers are
different). You will need to register though.

There's a evaluation board too, which comes with the Windoze software
for programming them, but those boards generally have to be paid for at
nominal cost, although I get the feeling you might be able to get one of
them free too.

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
G8WRB