[Amps] Could we *all* use the right tube part numbers?

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Could we *all* use the right tube part numbers?
From: David Kirkby <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 03:09:29 +0000
A search of the web shows many people are writing mails, web pages about non-existent tubes. Apart from being a bit sloppy, it does create problems when people try to search for material on the web. It would be far better if we *all* used the *right* part numbers.

The non-existent 3CX150000B7 is one such example. A search on Google shows 118 entries for that - some by me I might add!!! A search for the correct part number - 3CX15,000B7 (note the comma)

http://www.cpii.com/eimac/catalog/80094.htm

shows only 24 entries. So the wrong part number is listed far more often than the right one!! But Google will only pick up what you ask it for.

The 4CX250 is another example. There are lots of articles, emails etc when people mention they are running a pair of 4CX250's. In most cases they probably mean 4CX250B's, but this is not always stated. There are about twice as many entries in Google for the 4CX250B than for the 4CX250, so the situation is nowhere near as bad as it is for the poor old 3CX15,000B7 which normally gets called by the wrong name.

Even manufacturers of amplifiers - for example Alpha http://www.alpha-amps.com/html/legacy.htm call the 8877 a 3CX1500, when in fact it's a 3CX1500A7.

There's a thread on here at the minute where people are talking about a 3500Z. I assume they mean the 3-500Z
http://www.g8wrb.org/data/Eimac/3-500Z.pdf
but perhaps not. Other web references refer to the 3500-Z. So we have a mixture of

3-500Z
3500Z
3500-Z

and I expect with a bit of effort I could find some other combination.

You might think I'm nit-picking, but I'm sure people looking for information on the 3-500Z are not very likely to type 3500Z in a search engine. (If they do, they will get lots of references, but most are nothing to do with the tube).

Looking at my own site this month, the most popular search terms are listed at the bottom of the message, in order (most common at the top). The 4CX350A is the most popular search term used when arriving at my site from a search engine so far this month.

There are no entries at all for a 4CX350, as I did not have such a non-existent tube listed on the site. So no search engine would have found my site if you had searched for 4CX350. However, a quick web search shows that the number of references to a 4CX350, without any suffix are very significant. There are:

4CX350F - 343 entries on Google.
4CX350A - 867 entries on Google
4CX350FJ - 122 entries on Google
4CX350AC - 196 entries on Google.

4CX350 - 354 entries on Google.

So ignoring any rare varients, there 19% of the web references to a non-existent device, with the remaining 81% referring to the A, F, AC or FJ versions.

I know sometimes might want to refer to the 4CX250 series, but there is a lot of mis-use of tube part numbers, which can't really be good for anyone.

Eimac don't seem too consistent with the YC tubes. Some have a hyphen after the YC, some don't. Whether or not the tube data sheet and the tube are always consistent I don't know.

I feel we should all try to use the right part number, and not not refer to a 3CX1500 if we mean an 8877 / 3CX15000A7.

I admit to being guilty of this myself, but now I run a web server, and look at the server logs, the searches people perform on my site, and the search terms they arrive at the site from, I do feel we could do with being a bit more accurate.

Dave Kirkby, G8WRB

Search terms in 1-15th Feb 2005 at www.g8wrb.org
4cx350a // Last month, the top spot was held by the 3CX800A7, which was searched for 55 times.
yc156
4cx250b
eimac
yagi uda