Re: [Amps] SB 200 Puzzler

To: <Eg9k@aol.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] SB 200 Puzzler
From: "Phil Clements" <philk5pc@tyler.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:10:07 -0600
mhy. RF choke and output lead to check the loading cap. tested perfect. With
the plate tuning cap fully meshed ( max. capacity) attached to the total turns
of the coil assy. the capacity reading was 215 uufd, with the plates fully
open the reading was 65 uufd verifying that the plate tuning cap was at it's
proper value of 150 uufd. My questions are ---
1. Is 65 uufd a reasonable amount of stray capacitance for just the final
coil assy ?
2. Does anyone know if there is a minimum capacitance value for the plate
tuning cap ?
3. Any suggestions / help would be much appreciated.

If you are sure it is not the padder caps changing value when power is applied, I would check for shorted turns on the plate choke, and its bypass cap. It is hard to trouble-shoot via E-Mail! While you are at it, unsolder one end of each resistor on the parasitic suppressors, and make sure they have not changed value. I do this at annual spring-cleaning on my amps religiously.

GL!
Phil, K5PC