Re: [Amps] 10 DB increase

To: "R. Measures" <r@somis.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 10 DB increase
From: "Radioal" <al.dolgosh@hamradio.org>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 07:25:06 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "R. Measures" <r@somis.org>
To: "Radioal" <al.dolgosh@hamradio.org>
Cc: <amps@contesting.com>; "Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2005 6:39 AM

On Feb 4, 2005, at 4:03 PM, Radioal wrote:

A 10 dB increase in power will be propagated as a 10 dB increase - regardless of the state of the ionosphere, antennas, locations, etc.

I used to think that this was the case until I sold the original Plywood Box/8170 amplifier. Even though I had measured the amplifier's voltage-gain as x10 with an oscilloscope (20db power-gain), but on the air, I measured 20 - 23db with my calibrated S-meter. Other people with calibrated S-meters reported the same crazy thing. Others who saw the 23db change said that Stanford (University) Research Institute had observed something similar during their ionospheric heating research project

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org

The ionosphere is not a parametric amplifier being pumped by solar energy - there are some weird theories floating around that have not been proven.

Al - K8EUR