[Amps] cw bias

To: Vic Rosenthal <vic@rakefet.com>
Subject: [Amps] cw bias
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:11:45 -0500
Vic: 1970's and 1980's HF amp designs published by ARRL often included switched zener bias for class ab and c. What was described by W2RU I suspect is an adaptation of these designs. I have used the same 27 volt zener with pairs of 3-500;s operating on cw. Keeps the tubes cut off nicely. One of course must not forget to switch it back for ssb, which I assume is why it has never been implemented commercially. A look at the amp designs on arrl's web site will provide much food for thought. 73 bob de w9ge

Vic Rosenthal wrote:

W2RU - Bud Hippisley wrote:

3. I operate 99% CW, and have added a 25 - 28 volt (50 watt!) Zener in
series with the stock 5.1 volt operating bias Zener when I am on CW. I
originally did this because I run full break-in on CW, and use an electronic
TR switch on the output of the amplifier, so I needed to cut off all plate
current to eliminate "hash" in the receiver. Secondary benefits of this are
that I have no power dissipated in key-up idling current and my key-down
efficiency is probably slightly higher than it would be with the stock class
B biasing.

I am also primarily a CW operator and would be interested in hearing about any others who have optimized amplifiers for CW. I've always felt that it's a shame to waste power by biasing CW amplifiers for minimum IMD!