Re: [Amps] Shaded-pole Tube Blower

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shaded-pole Tube Blower
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:55:29 +0000
Joe Isabella wrote:
Seems reasonable to have some kind of interlock for this -- a couple dollars worth of parts could easily save several hundred in new tubes. A friend of mine switched to a pair of 3CPX800s because the squirrel cage fan came loose from the motor shaft in his Alpha. Tubes pretty much melted.

Another experience, for what it's worth...

I once wired the blower capacitor on the 2x4CX400A 2m amp so that the motor ran at about half speed, and backwards. (The motor was going round, lots of rushing-air noises, right?)

By the time I eventually noticed there was practically no air coming out the exhaust, and maybe the tuning was drifting just a little at the 1kW output level, the poor 4CX400As were practically black from overheating. But when the motor was wired correctly, they came back like new.