Re: [Amps] A Meeting Ground

To: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@ic24.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] A Meeting Ground
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 06:09:08 -0800

On Nov 5, 2004, at 1:29 AM, Steve Thompson wrote:

On Thursday 04 November 2004 20:14, Dennis12Amplify@aol.com wrote:
Bill,

I have been reading your posts lately and want to commend you for your
'sage' advice.

I also enjoy Rich's posts but lately he seems to be a bit cranky.

I guess I would too if I kept having to fight the parasitic battle.

I kept thinking about the phase angle thing and realized that for a
grounded grid amp with .12pfd of plate to cathode capacitance to oscillate
at 1000 megacycles, the uhf circuit gain at that frequency would have to
be greater than unity at a point where there was either no phase shift, or
-/+ 360 degrees of phase shift between cathode and anode.

With the feedback impedance of 1326 ohms at -90 degrees voltage dividing
with the input impedance of the tube (another vector but a low impedance
one), It would take a significant amount of stage gain to cause
oscillations to occur.

Sounds right to me. By 1000 MHz I suspect that the phase angle of the internal
feedback might not be exactly -90 degrees - but I also doubt that it's zero.

And wouldn't there also be an additional capacitive voltage divider between the plate to cathode capacitance and the grid to cathode capacitance further reducing amplitude of the feedback signal?

Yes. Consider what happens in a hf amp if the cathode circuit provides a low
impedance path to ground at vhf.

Yo, Steve -- It would seem that with a low-Z path to gnd (circuit-common), more of the VHF feedback signal (result of delta-I ringing of the anode's VHF resonant circuit) would be shunted to gnd, and less of the VHF feedback signal would be arriving at the cathode/input -- which would obviously be a serious error if one is designing a VHF oscillator.
- In the SB-220, there is a length of RG-58 coax between the tuned input Pi-networks and the cathodes of the 3-500Zs. A dipmeter reveals that this section of coax creates a VHF resonance that is close to the frequency of the ringing in the anode's resonant circuit. This resonance keeps the ringing signal from being shunted to gnd, and allows more feedback signal to go into the cathode. Essentially the same situation exists in the TL-922, except that the ringing frequency is c. 10MHz higher and the RG-58 is a bit shorter. Both amplifiers have a track record of big-bangs, toasted VHF parasitic-suppressors, blown grid chokes, , toasted 10-15 m contacts on bandswitches, and grid-filament shorts.
-------- Editorial: Tube manufacturers list feedback C in pF, which are units of 10^–12 Farads. For instance, a 3-500Z has 0.15pF, or 0.15 x 10^–12 Farads of C. Since feedback-C is so small, most engineers seem to ignore it. If feedback-C was listed in femto-Farads (10^–15) F, the feedback spec on a 3-500Z would be: 150fF -- and, who knows, perhaps feedback C might get more respect?

cheerz