Re: [Amps] Alpha 76A Multimeter

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 76A Multimeter
From: Don Nesbitt <nesbittdr@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 08:40:53 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks to all for suggestions on the "sluggish and
sticking" multimeter.  The most frequent suggestion
was static electricity build-up on the meter
case/face.

I've done all the usual and some unusual tricks to
remove the possible static build-up all to no avail.
I'm pretty sure at this point that the culprit is not
static.  It's still sluggish and sticky! However, a
vibration on or near the meter does seem to move it
along nicely!  Arggg!

Thanks to Dave (W8NF) for a little comic relief and
for suggesting the possibility of a low impedance
across the meter itself - something I'd forgotten
about from the "old days" when we used to ship analog
meters with a hairpin short across the terminals -
something about creating back emf, etc, etc.  No luck
there either Dave.

I'm going to pull it - again (ugh! hate taking the
front panel off again) and get a bit more aggressive
with it.  Any other suggestions sure would be welcome.
 73 es gud dx  --don n4hh