[Amps] Line power supplies.

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>, wc6w@juno.com
Subject: [Amps] Line power supplies.
From: Will Matney <craxd1@ezwv.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:02:47 -0400
Unless that floating ground fails too! Anything could fail and is my point without having the isolation of a transformer. Any type of regulator circuit will work here but the safety is nil upon any failure of the ground system. The floated system is what I was calling an isolated ground where the actual DC ground was not tied to the cabinet chassis. The problem is that if something in the power supply was to go awry, the hot or ground terminal could still go to line voltage and apply this to whatever is being ran from the supply. Or at least is my way of seeing it, tell me if I'm wrong.

Will Matney

"Nothing protects against the happenstance of: missing ground, reversedhot/neutral. If there is any path from the line to the chassis, it is going to hurt!!!
If the entire amplifier/power supply assembly is "floated" inside a grounded cabinet and then fed by RF input and output transformers it would be as fault tolerant as a typical design."

73 & Good morning,
Marv WC6W