Re: [Amps] AL-1200 Pop/Arching, 756 Pro II failure

To: "R. Measures" <r@somis.org>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-1200 Pop/Arching, 756 Pro II failure
From: Dana Roode <K6NR@ARRL.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 13:43:57 -0700
Rich -

- Does your AL-1200 have the "neutralization" circuit?

I'm not sure, how do you tell? There is a small diameter red wire wrapped around a small toroid core feeding the +HV to the plate; there is a thick flat-wire copper coil with a resister in it connecting the plate to the tank circuit.

Is there a problem with this circuit?

€ I would Not depend on hope and instead put a Low-pass filter between the 440 and the amp. Another precaution might be to retrofit a lower-Q VHF suppressor -- provided you don't mind losing 2% of your 10m power out.

I certainly want to protect the exciter from any future amplifier problems, would a low pass filter do that, or are other things I can/should do? Is it all a matter of VHF energy?

Dana