[Amps] Molybdenum Disulphide Grease

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Molybdenum Disulphide Grease
From: Harold B Mandel <ka1xo@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 23:01:10 -0400
Moly-Kote (tm) is one manufacturer's brand name.

The true molybdenum disulphide grease is very thick
and difficult to squeeze out of the tube.

It is an excellent RF conductor and is used in the
broadcast world by BC XMTR maintenance engineers
on wiping-type contacts.

Please be sure not to use the copper-impregnated type of
anticorrosive compound that has the consistency of
anti-seize. That stuff is used under the lugs of outdoor
power connections and will evaporate its grease component
leaving the mechanism bound.

I learned about molybdenum disulphide grease when I started
at the telephone company in 1967. We used moly for the
wiper contacts in the DC Power Plant and in a lot of
applications in the frame room where the steppers needed
a bit of help after they were worn down real bad.

It's a mess to clean up off your fingers, so have a clean rag
handy with some solvent. Don't let the XYL see you in the house
with those fingers: Take my advice. I learned the hard way.

Hal
KA1XO/4