[Amps] Protecting the control grid of a tetrode

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Protecting the control grid of a tetrode
From: n2bc at stny.rr.com (Bill Coleman N2BC)
Date: Sat May 10 13:43:00 2003
Let me start this over.

Typically it is imperative to not apply drive to a grid driven tetrode unless
anode voltage is applied.  This is usually accomplished by interlocking the T/R
switching.

I have a Harris RF-110A which uses a pair of 8122s. When operating, the 8122s
are Class A.  However there is no protection against applying grid drive at any
time (power on / power off / anode on / anode off / filament on / filament off)
 - the input is completely unswitched.

Simple question:  Will application of 20 or 30mW of RF damage the tubes when
they are not "ready" ??   It looks like the 8122s can handle a couple watts of
grid dissipation each - is this relevant if they are driven when not "ready" ?

I can add a drive interlock if necessary - it's going to be a pain - though not
as much pain as toasting the tubes.

Thanks,  Bill
Bill Coleman    N2BC
http://home.stny.rr.com/n2bc