[Amps] CB Amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] CB Amps
From: w8ji at contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu Mar 13 05:55:46 2003
----- Original Message -----
From: "kenw2dtc" <kenw2dtc@comcast.net>
To: "Roger D. Johnson" <n1rj@pivot.net>; <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 4:24 AM
Subject: Re: [Amps] CB Amps

> "I'm going to suggest that pressure be put on Ebay to have the seller put
the FCC ID number on all auctions........"

> Roger,
> I think there are enough regulations in our lives without getting into a
CB amp, ebay mess that would have to deal with homebrew amps, old amps, non
hams selling amps for an estate sale etc

The biggest problem is Hams buy the junk CB amplifiers and put them on the
air, then we are stuck with this splatter and spurs from amateurs just like
CB operators have on ten meters, and on the other bands they pirate (all the
way to 160m now).

I care less how many amplifiers are sold to CB, but there is and has been a
considerable crossover of CB ops into Ham radio and with it come the bad
ideas of buying these amps, turning up power controls inside radios, etc.
With as little signal quality enforcement as we have, it would be nice to at
least give the CB amp marketers the most difficult time possible and educate
people buying such amps on signal quality.

I don't think E-bay is the bulk of the problem unless Hams are buying the CB
amps on E-bay. The real problem is with manufacturers selling CB-type amps
into the amateur mainstream in bulk. That's what will eventually hurt us.

73 Tom