[Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [ Amps] Bird® 43

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [Amps] Re: [ Amps] Bird® 43 Manual
From: w9ac@arrl.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 11:25:14 -0500
> No.  Watt meters that hams and most engineers use at RF measure either
> voltage or Current.  They do not measure *power*.  Given the voltage or
> current, analog meters use a graphical conversion (called a meter scale) to
> equivalent power given under the assumption of a matched
> termination.  Digital meters also perform a conversion in firmware.  None
> of these devices measure *power*.

My example is relevant without the need of the Bird wattmeter.  I fully accept
the fact that the directional coupler samples RF
voltage.  I'll respond to you as I did with Steve.  Namely, in the absence of a
load on a loss-less line, any and all reflected
power is being absorbed by the fixed-impedance source (i.e., broadband PA).

If reflected power is not absorbed by the source, where is absorbed?

-Paul, W9AC