[AMPS] refurbish and upgrade

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] refurbish and upgrade
From: nospam4me@juno.com (skipp isaham)
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 22:01:30 -0800
re: SB -220 "restoration"
-
> From: Rich... <2@mail.vcnet.com>
?  A "complete restoration" means removing:
-
A poor initial choice of words, maybe repair as needed,
refurbish and upgrade with "current amplifier technology,"
an often hotly debated topic on amps.
-
> 1.  the step-start mod... [snip]
I do like a step start and have them in many amplifiers, I've
not experienced power switch failures in SB-220's and
I have many and have worked on many. I was not
aware that it was a significant problem for the switch.
I like the step start to ease the filter bank back to normal
operating potentials.
-
> 2.  lower VHF -Q suppressors... [snip]
I'm using a modified version of your basic design. Never
had an amplifier "go poof" with your or my suppressors
on board.
-
3.  the high speed switching mod... [snip]
I most often use a different approach to keep the
original relays in operation and not hot switch.
Various options are possible...
-
4.  the glitch protection... [snip]
Should be added to any stock amplifier and left in
place. I would not remove any of said properly done.
I have found well intended mods which were so
poorly done, I've had to replace them, but glitch and
failure protection are a must have.
-
cheers
skipp