[AMPS] New to list.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] New to list.
From: w8ron@stratos.net (Ron)
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:26:55 -0500
Hello to all .

I joined to pose a questionand also to copy mail to see what is new.

I have a solid state push pull Broadbanded RF amp that I have replaced
the transistors but the unit is taking off at higher power levels. I
placed a LPF on the input drive to the amp as I would see the 3 harmonic
at 6 dB below the carrier!  THe filter cured that.  Looking at the
signal from an HP analyzer , I see multiple harmonics spaced about every
2 Mhz below the carrier frequency into a 50 Ohm load. On lower power
levels, the closest is 20 dB down , but at higher only 10dB On an
antenna , It takes off and pulls horrendus currents and drags the supply
voltage down to 9 or 10 volts if I plase it on an antenna with a tuner.

?...Is it normally required to neutralize this amp when replacing the
finals?

?...What techniques are used to do this?
---
Ron