[AMPS] Building new 4-1000A amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Building new 4-1000A amp
From: Wlfuqu00@uky.edu (wlfuqu00@uky.edu)
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 14:27:07 -0500
        I have been thinking of a new 4-1000A amplifier.
I am thinking of using a L-network with a variable plate capacitor and an
tapped inductor and band switch.
The harmonic content would be high but this could be reduced by having a
bandswitched low pass filter like the ones used for
solid state amplifiers. In fact I could have the lowpass filter external so
that it could be used with any rig. I could combine the remote lowpass
filters and the T/R switch. Since I have a number of amplifiers that do not
have built-in T/R relays.
        The L network would have a Q around 10 (square root of  Zplate/Z
out)  this would reduce re-tuning when changing frequency.
Naturally 10 meters would be a problem ,but I don't really need an amp on
10 anyway.
Who has had experience with L-networks? Any thoughts?

73
Bill wa4lav