[AMPS] Choke input PS question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Choke input PS question
From: k7fm@teleport.com (Lamb)
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 06:20:20 -0700
When using a large filter choke in my hv power supply, I experienced 2
problems.  First, the collapsing field blew the diodes out.  Second, there
were resonances that caused problems at certain current.

The only reason for using the choke in the first place was because the
voltage output of my transformer was higher than I wanted and the choke was
available.

Finally solved problem by shunting the choke with a large resistor to de-Q
the choke.  Worked ok.

But, the next amplifier was not built in a 6 foot rack and the choke went
away.

Colin,  K7FM