[AMPS] 14KW

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 14KW
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 07:19:50 -0500
on 8/17/01 2:25 PM, Patrick Riggins at
patrick@complete-office-installations.com wrote:

> Hummm, so does this apply to other areas of my life?

Well, let's see....

> For example:
>
> Does the horse-and-buggy crowd laugh and make fun of me in my car?

Probably.  They probably think you are stupid because you are missing out on
the fresh air of horses and the wonder of a clickety-clackety ride.

> Do the slow-lane drivers make fun of my over-powered Mustang?

No, the probably fly the bird as you drive by.  But let's face it, everyone
calls cars like that an "extender" even some of the car magazines the like
them.  Just because you have one doesn't mean you need an "extender."
What's the reason for why you have it.

> Why should I purchase a Lexus when something else will do?

Because you want to conspicuously display your wealth with a fancy Toyota.
And because you can.

> Do the bow-and-arrow people laugh at my guns?

They probably think you are missing out on hunting like a "real man" and
think you need to get a life.

> Is 10 bullets in a magazine okay while 11 or more excessive (and now
> illegal as far as new ones are concerned)?

Here, I can't agree with you more.  At one point, my Ruger 10/22 had a flash
suppressor.  I wanted to add a folding stock and make it into an assault
rifle.  ALAS.  They don't sell the folding stocks any more.  Of course, I
have about 5 fifty round magazines!  Some are still unopened!

Yep, somehow, by the addition of a flash suppressor and folding stock, my
little 22 caliber rifle would suddenly have become a killing machine coveted
by gang bangers.

> Does the soaring crowd laugh at my Cessna?

Yeah, they do.  A friend of mine who is one told me so.

> Should I make fun of the guy in front of me in the Learjet?

Perhaps not, but I am sure you wish you were in his shoes.

> If I don't utilize all the rooms in my house, is it too big?

Do you have furniture in all the rooms or is the big house just a display to
show off your wealth to your friends?

> Do I really need a pool in my backyard?

No, but you have the right too in our country.  You have the right to pour
the money down the drain when I can use any public pool in my town or the
one at the health club or I can come over and use yours (I will bring a six
pack).

> Who defines excessive? The government?

Well, some think the government does.  I don't.  Excessive is generally a
personal choice of an activity w/in the law (whether we agree with that law
or not).

> My definition of excessive probably differs greatly from that of an
> Amish farmer. Does that make me wrong or mean that I have a problem
> with my self-confidence? Would he say that my car is really just an
> extension of a certain part of my body?

The desire to put one's masculinity on display via some mechanical
contrivance like a Mustang, power boat or a 14 KW amplifier does not in any
way suggest a lack of self confidence.  If you think braggadocio is in any
way connected with a lack of self confidence you've been reading too many
liberal newspapers or reading too much pop psychology.

> Would an American Indian (since we are all really Native Americans,
> right? I mean, we were all born here) say that a gun is an extension
> of that same part? Would he say that I am just compensating for some
> other lack in my life?

Probably.

> The Libertarian in me sometimes asks such questions.

But the Liberatrian in you seems to want to withhold someone else's right to
laugh at your choices.

I think you missed the point of my post.  I did not say that owning an
amplifier capable of 14 KW is excessive (It's not illegal to own a
Lamborghini Countach either.).  If you can own one and build one capable of
that, then fine.  What I did say was that RUNNING 14 KW is excessive.  The
fact is that it can interfere with someone else's right to the "pursuit of
happiness."

The problem I have with the Libertarian philosophy taken to an extreme is
that Libertarians tend to think they live in a vacuum.  Your actions don't
affect anyone else whether it be such things as running 14 KW, driving at
150 MPH or doing drugs.  It's your choice and if you kill yourself, then you
alone are to blame.

The problem though is that we don't live in a vacuum.  Everything I do
generally affects people around me.  If I drive my Mustang or Lamborghini at
excessive speeds then I may kill myself, but I may kill a family going on
vacation or an old lady crossing the street.  If I run my amplifier at 14
KW, I may QRM the ham a couple blocks away who wants the DX as bad as me.
Or I may QRM up and down the band and affect many people who are working
other stations due to my IM products, spurs, etc.

Just because you have the freedom to DO an activity does not make that
activity moral or correct.  I can live in an ostentatious house and ignore
those less fortunate around me or I can live in a nicer but less substantial
house and help the poor (the best would be to do both obviously).  But what
is the more "moral" choice.  No, that should not be dictated by the
government.

Getting back to amplifiers and ham radio, the fact of the matter is that we
have, for better or worse, a maximum specified legal power limit.  Call the
law stupid, call it whatever, but it still exists.  Excessive therefore is,
IMHO, anything in violation of that law.  In fact, the law specifically
states that the "MINIMUM" power for acceptable communication be used.  That
means that if 10 meters is open and 10 Watts gives a 59+ signal that even in
this case 100 Watts is "excessive."  Now, I don't pick about that but
technically that's the way the rules are.  I think that the current regs are
very sufficient and I don't think we need to lessen the power limit nor
raise it.  If you want more, then see the letter I wrote that got published
in the August issue of QST 2001.

So let me state my point more clearly:  Having an amplifier CAPABLE of 14 KW
is not excessive.  Running 14 KW is since we clearly have a law that states
what the maximum power levels are.  It doesn't matter whether I disagree
with that law or not, I need to obey it and follow it until I can get that
law changed (if possible) to my benefit.

You have the freedom to do whatever you want so long as it doesn't impinge
on my freedoms.  QRMing me several KCs away because of your excessive power
IS infringing on my freedom.

73,

Jon
NA9D