[AMPS] Review of Antenna Tuner from Dayton

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Review of Antenna Tuner from Dayton
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:12:25 -0700

>if you are looking for a BIG tuner that will not arc have a look here:
>http://www.helmut-singer.de/stock/1367096816.html
>
>Regards,
>
>Carsten, DL6LAU

/\  Is a "BIG" no-arc with high SWR coax-fed antenna tuner really good?
In seeems to me that high SWR on coaxial transmission line is Not good
engineering practice.   Open-wire transmission line is ideal for high
SWR.   The fly in the pie with almost all commercial antenna tuners is
that they cut corners by basically using an unbalanced matching network
with a ferrite balun in the unbalanced output to hopefully adapt the
unbalanced tuner for balanced transmission line.  The problem is that
ferrite core baluns tend to saturate with high SWR.  Core-saturation
undoubtedly opens a Pandora's Box of problems.  The solution is
semi-obvious:   put the balun where SWR is minimal, and use a balanced
tuner circuit.   Such a tuner is described in "A *Balanced* Balanced
Antenna Tuner" in the February, 1990 QST.  The original manuscript and
diagrams for this article are available on my Web site.

cheers

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end