[AMPS] Advice about what linear to buy

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Advice about what linear to buy
From: bjk@ihug.co.nz (Barry Kirkwood)
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 13:24:46 +1300
I beg to differ.
I used the term "all things being equal".
Hence issues of shielding integrity, supply regulation and tuning apply in
the hypothetical case of the amplifier being pushed close to its limits and
a larger one working on the linear part of its transfer curve.
Headroom in amplifiers relates to their ability to follow transient changes
in signals, whether speech or keyed information.
The issue of the quality of the input signal to an amplifier applies equally
to low and high power amplifiers.
In the real world the budget amplifier typically has a weak power supply
which sags under load and increases  the distortion products.
Also in the real world the budget amps tend to be poorly shielded and lack
features such as vacuum variables which typically show lower impedance to
vhf than breadslicers do, hence the tanks work more like they should in
theory.
One could go on at length.
The same considerations apply to audio amplifiers: the overbuilt ones look
better when the output is analysed and sound better to the ear.
Also issues of reliablity and abilty to keep on spec over time arise.
I stand by my point that long run the overdesigned amp is likely to be a
better economic and functional choice.
73
Baz ZL1DD
end