[AMPS] 3 phase HT power supplies.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3 phase HT power supplies.
From: i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 22:50:03 +0100
A twelve-pulse transformer/rectifier series system offers the advantage of a
DC output whose ripple is about 1% without any capacitive filtering but
requires a very well designed 3phase transformer and the diode legs in the
rectifier unit have to be properly dimensioned.
A twelve-pulse transformer/rectifier paralleled system is quite complex
(also an extra winding is required if my memory doesn't fail) but the ripple
is one third 0.3% of the series version and the diodes voltage/current
requirements are not so demanding.
Althoug theorically not required, with twelve-pulse transformer/rectifier
series system it's a common practice to use a small
capacitive filter (abt 2 uF) across the output.
If the 3Phases transformer has not ben specifically designed for a WYE delta
series (parallel) rectifier system I wouldn't use it in such configuration.

73,
Mauri I4JMY