[AMPS] Coil heating

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Coil heating
From: rfamps@ic24.net (Steve Thompson)
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 21:53:54 +0100
An experience I had while messing with a 6m anode circuit: I wanted to try a
different coil size and fighting with 6mm (1/4") copper pipe was getting
tiresome. Allowing for skin effect, I figured that 6 x 1mm wires in parallel
(like litz wire) would give the same area for current flow and be much
easier to handle. I made some twisted wire with a cordless drill and tried
it. After about 20 secs. key down, huge plumes of smoke came out with the
exhaust air - when the coil was removed, the varnish had burned and all
strands had started to fuse together.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I can't see why the losses should
have been much higher. The copper pipe will shift heat away more easily, but
even after prolonged use, the final pipe coil is not discoloured, so I feel
sure the difference was in actual dissipation.

Steve