[AMPS] Re: Power Handling of Resistors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Power Handling of Resistors
From: wb8jkr@juno.com (Mark S Graalman)
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 05:46:54 -0500

> So if I can pass 1500 watts safely through the bandswitch for 10
> seconds (or
> rather an indefinite period of time) then how would 250 Joules
> destroy it?

   Jon,

  I THINK we may be getting a little off the path here. First, 1500
watts through something isn't the same as 1500 watts TO something.
 You could run 1500 watts of power through a 1 foot length of  #32
wire using 15KV and 100 ma of current and it would work, the same
1500 watts using 15 volts at 100 amps would blow the conductor into next
week. The same type of thing with the plate choke, there maybe 1500
watts flowing through it from the B+ supply but the actual power
dissipated
in the choke itself should be quite low.

Mark  WB8JKR

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.