[AMPS] QRN

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] QRN
From: jtml@lanl.gov (John T. M. Lyles)
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 08:25:49 -0700
The noise on the AMPS@CONTESTING list has gotten so high that I need
to QRP for awhile. Overnight I got seven digests with contents like
this:

At 11:47 PM -0500 3/6/00, owner-amps-digest@contesting.com (RF
Amplifier Discussion Dige wrote:
>RE: [AMPS] Misc. Oscillations
>     Re: [AMPS] poor science?
>     [AMPS] Re: Poor Science
>     [AMPS] Re: Poor Science
>     RE: [AMPS] Misc. Oscillations
>     [AMPS] RE: Poor Science
>     Re: [AMPS] 2nd harmonic pumped parasitic
>     RE: [AMPS] Misc. Oscillations
>     Re: [AMPS] RE: Poor Science
>     Re: [AMPS] reply on connectors and VHF
>     Re: [AMPS] reply on connectors and VHF
>     [AMPS] Re: Surge voltage, HV connectors.
>     Re: [AMPS] RE: Poor Science
>     [AMPS] Mission Impossible
>     Re: SV: [AMPS] Big Bang Problem
>     RE: [AMPS] Misc. Oscillations
>     Re: [AMPS] Re: Poor Science
>     Re: [AMPS] Mission Impossible

At 11:47 PM -0500 3/6/00, owner-amps-digest@contesting.com (RF
Amplifier Discussion Dige wrote:

>     Re: [AMPS] Misc. Oscillations
>     Re: [AMPS] Mission Impossible
>     [AMPS] Re: Mission Impossible
>     RE: [AMPS] Misc. Oscillations
>     RE: [AMPS] Design of Plate RF Choke
>     RE: [AMPS] Mission Impossible
>     Re: [AMPS] Mission Impossible
>     [AMPS] IMDs
>     RE: [AMPS] Mission Impossible
>     Re: [AMPS] Re: Mission Impossible
>     Re: [AMPS] IMDs
>     Re: [AMPS] Design of Plate RF Choke
>     Re: [AMPS] IMDs
>     Re: [AMPS] Network analysis of suppressors
>     Re: [AMPS] IMDs
>     RE: [AMPS] Can't get rid of the boom,boom,boom...
>     Re: [AMPS] Mission Impossible
>     RE: [AMPS] Misc. Oscillations
>     RE: [AMPS] Mission Impossible
>     Re: SV: [AMPS] Big Bang Problem
     Re: [AMPS] Re: Poor Science

I work on RF power systems for a living, so I don't find reading
endless debates on 'theories' of arcs and parasites as continually
stimulating or even fun. I have to work 9 hours a day, and spending
10 percent trying to read through the point/counterpoint debate here
is not productive for me or my employer.

I always hope that some new topics about amplifiers will arise and
teach me something; for the past 3 years it always seems to drop back
to the same subject. New topics such as class E amplifiers, use of
connectors, tube sockets, types and performance of tubes, switchmode
power converters, automatic tuners, solid state designs, etc. have
been really interesting for me. Continuing to smash our heads over
whose theory of parasite/tube damage is correct is consuming too much
time. I apologize for reviving that article about the old WLW
transmitter design a few years ago. It seems to be held in high
esteem but practice has improved since then.
>G. W. Fyler's article on
>parasitic osc. in the 1935 Journal of the Institute of Radio Engineers.

I have had my share of parasite chasing, and usually am successful in
squelching them. But I don't continually press everyone with my
issues like a "Born Again" religious fanatic. Please accept my
apologies if I step on any toes here.

I'd like to use a filter to trap out certain messages, but since I
get the list as a digest, to minimize constant email interruptions
through the work day, I don't see it possible. Any help here would be
appreciated, I am using Eudora Pro 4.02 emailer.

Meanwhile, the trashcan is quickly being filled with digests such as
above. If anyone wants to reach me, send email direct. Thanks, all.

73
John
K5PRO