[AMPS] broadband L at output

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] broadband L at output
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:12:32 -0600
> I don't find a very good idea to place a power broad band transformer, with
> a saturable core, where the impedance is high.
>
> 73,
> Mauri I4JMY

Since 160 meters came into play in amplifiers in the '80's, Alpha and
many others are using powdered iron torroid stacks to keep the package
smaller. Care must be taken, as in the plate choke area to over-engineer
the stack of torroids. They work fine as both the pi and the L coils if big
enough wire and enough iron is in the stack.. An added bonus is that they
can be placed in areas of the RF deck close to metal and other components
without any interaction or change in L. A quick feel of the torroid after
several minutes of key-down will tell you if it is large enough for the power
being run through it. A stack of three large yellow powdered iron torroids
wound with #10 awg wire will loaf @ the 5kw level.

(((73)))
Phil K5PC