[AMPS] 2 tone intermod test

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 2 tone intermod test
From: amps@txrx.demon.co.uk (Steve Thompson)
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 07:52:14 -0000
>>........ I guess I can run a
>>test with voice but it just seems so subjective and would
be hard to show
>>the results to anyone at the Icom factory in case I decide
to send the
>>exciter in for a tune up.
>>
>IMD products are pretty much fixed if the RF output unit
has the
>specified idling current.
>>
>cheers, Dave
>
>-  Rich..., 805.386.3734, www.vcnet.com/measures.

I've come to the conclusion that ALC problems or poor design
account for a lot of the speech related splatter that
doesn't show up with 2 tone tests. The TS830 seems good
(until the driver fades) while my FT990 is horrible. As soon
as the ALC comes into play, there is a leading edge spike of
typically double the set power for a few ms before the level
settles to nominal. You certainly know all about it for +/-
20kHz when listening on a monitor rx while talking. I also
find running a fingernail along the bars on the mic casting
quite an effective source. For info., my monitor is a late
R4C.

Steve