[AMPS] Re: Elementary question...(Shame)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Elementary question...(Shame)
From: fredffff@hotmail.com (Fred Fliss)
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 17:17:36 EST
Roy,

There often arises confusion about Q.  In this case, we need to be concerned
about Q of the final circuit and Q of the inductor itself.  We usually want
Q of our individual reactive components to be as high as possible
(infinite).  When we calculate values for the pi or pi-L network (where the
desired Q is no longer infinite, but more like 10 - 12), the derived
component values assume zero-loss capacitors and inductors.  Practically,
inductors with a Q value of 100 to 300 are easily realized.  Several
references have indicated that "square" inductors maximize the Q.  That is,
length equals diameter.  That is why in some amplifier designed with
switched inductors, you'll notice that the turns that are in use on 10
meters are wound with a smaller diameter.

But what if our roller inductor is set for a non-optimum Q position?  We may
have a Q of, say 40 or 50 instead of hundreds.  This will have a minimal
(although measurable) effect on final Q of the pi or pi-L network.  A
network designed for a Q of 12 assuming perfect inductors may end up
measuring "only" 11.8.  The effect of this in terms of bandwidth is probably
not noticeable.  For practical purposes, the main reason to be concerned
with Q of the actual tank inductor is heating.  If the inductor is low Q,
then it therefore will be losing some power, and getting warm as a result.
In a 1.5kW amp, it's easy to exceed solder melting temperatures.  And has
been mentioned previously, even if you do see a performance degradation
caused by the Q being too low, you'll tend automatically to retune for a
better setting.

For the majority of hams, as long as the inductors are staying cool enough
to not melt solder (and you should really never depend on solder as the only
mechanical fixing of tank components anyway), and cool enough to not cause
frequency drift, then you're OK on Q.

FF

To: <amps@contesting.com>