[AMPS] Peak reading vs True peak

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Peak reading vs True peak
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:32:52 -0400

> If I understand you correctly, you are saying that an amplifier can be
> tuned up for full output, and demonstrate some number of dBs of gain.Then,
> the drive can be reduced 10 or 20 dB so that there's no clipping, with no
> change in the tuning settings. Then you say that the  gain at the same
> lower power drive level will reduce when the HT is reduced by say 10%? And
> that a tetrode in grounded cathode will do that? Obviously, that would
> also work for a class A receiving pentode, too.

I'd need to think about that for a bit. It absolutely applies to
grounded grid PA's and class C PA's, but I'm not at all sure it
applies to other conditions.

I'll look into that, it might be useful to know someday... although
I've gotten by for 30 years without it..;-)

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com