[AMPS] parasitic fantasia

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] parasitic fantasia
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 10:44:50 -0700

The long-delayed reflection:

>Hi Jon,
>
>> This is true.  Very true.  I used to be a firm believer in the nichrome
>> theory.  It sounds good on the surface and as one reflector reader put it,
>> "The theory sounds correct."  However, an ancient Jewish proverb states in
>> effect, "Every story sounds good until another comes and cross examines
>> it."  Once I was able to successfully build an amp using a 4-1000A that
>> needed no suppressor resistor let alone any nichrome, I realized that
>> while Rich's suppressors may work and probably won't cause any harm, are
>> they necessary.  I maintain that even for a 4-1000A, they are not.
>> Perhaps some of the other tubes you mentioned, 572B, 811A, etc may benefit
>> from nichrome.
>
>Actually the poorer the tube design, and poorer the layout, the
>more valuable nichrome becomes. That's because the addition of
>loss resistance in the inductor, the primary low frequency path, the
>lower the frequency of the de-Q'ing.

?  What is "the frequency of the de-Q'ing"?  Wes' measurements showed
that resistance-wire lowered supp. Q from 10MHz to 200Mhz.

>While there are alternatives to nichrome, it is a shotgun approach
>with the only ill effect of de-Q'ing the tank more at ten meters and
>upper HF than other methods.

?  Surely.  Perhaps 1 to 2% loss at 29MHz, which is not much of an
S-unit.  Everything has a trade-off.

>My main point isn't that nichrome is bad, it just isn't necessary in
>most modern applications. It was important when tubes barely
>operated above 15 MHz, and when most layouts were on wood.

?  the nichrome - wood concession.

>There was almost no hope of solving problems then, because the
>tubes were operated at or near a frequency where the system
>became unstable.
>
>The only harmful things are claims that removing grid protection is
>a good idea,

?  When the factory's grid-protection shorts during a glitch that results
in (fatal) gold sputtering from the grid, a better mouse trap might be a
good idea.  .

> and nonsense claims that most bandswitch failures
>and tube arcs and failures are caused by parasitics. Nothing could
>be further from the truth.

?  Amplifier owners often find an extraordinary increase in VHF parasitic
suppressor R after a bandswitch toasting.

>One acceptable alternative to loss of upper HF efficiency and tank
>Q caused by the shotgun approach of using nichrome is to actually
>resonant the suppressor at the same frequency where the grid is
>resonant. Then a resistor can be placed in the suppressor, to de-Q
>the system. That way the resistor become virtually the entire part
>of the suppressor system impedance at the frequency of instability,
>while having almost no effect at frequencies an octave or more
>away.
>
>Oscillators just don't work like bells, waiting to be struck.

?  True.  Oscillators require some signal to start them off.  Damped-wave
ringing from a tuned circuit is one way.

> They, if
>perturbed any amount and biased into conduction, either oscillate
>or they don't. They have the highest gain at lowest levels, and so
>self-limit with amounts of feedback that are near the edge of
>stability.
>
>If feedback is severe, they can produce damaging currents or
>voltages (generally not at the same time) but if feedback is severe
>they also oscillate ALL the time and very reliably.
>
>I certainly agree that it is possible for an oscillation, especially one
>at or near the operating frequency, to damage components.

?  An oscillation near the HF operating freq. would be delivered to the
HF antenna where it would be radiated.  //  However, VHF energy has no
place to go due to the low-pass nature of the HF tank.
>Terman covers gas arcs and gettering, and even stability and
>suppression, in his older engineering handbooks. The older Termin
>books are worthwhile reading for those who want facts instead of
>fiction.

?  My copy of Terman says nothing about gas gettering when the tube is
not in operation - which is what you contended, Mr. Rauch.

>The Terman books are a good step beyond systems based on
>tubes that barely made it into the shortwave region that Rich favors,

?  [chortle]

>and modern tubes. They were written when we could make reliable
>high power tubes that operated beyond medium wave or shortwave
>bands.
>
>> Rich always quotes the papers from the 1930s to justify nichrome.
>> Perhaps there is lots we can learn from previous generations.

?  I also recommended a book from the 1950s:   Dittrich, H. F.; *Tubes
for R. F. Heating*;
N.V. Phillips Gloeilaampenfabrieeken, Eindhoven, the Netherlands.  Section
5.8, 'Parasitic Suppression Circuits' begins on page 96.

>> And perhaps those guys knew quite a bit.  But people once thought the earth
>> was flat too.  Technology has also come a long way since the 30's.  Back
>> then radio was in infancy and I don't think

?  [chortle]

>> television was even around let
>> alone, computers, VCRs, answering machines, contest keyers, etc.
>
>And tubes had long leads and big elements. Amps had long leads
>and poor layouts, most were breadboard construction on open
>chassis or not even on metal at all. When the amp is a stability
>nightmare, it takes a shotgun to make it behave.
>
>Anyway I've used my years allowance of time in the past few days.
>I'll have to quit this for now. I'll be back next year, for a repeat of the
>same arguments.

?  Mr. Rauch temporarily quit the grate debate after I posted the result
of my telephone conversation with the Eimac/SLC facility's personnel
department.

Rich...