[AMPS] Power Meter Readings Question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Power Meter Readings Question
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 99 09:48:50 -0500
>The G5RV presents a highly reactive load on almost every amateur band and
>therefore a mismatch almost everywhere.

Yep.  That's what I've seen!  It looks decent on 40M but reactive
elsewhere.  VSWR is about 2.5 or 3:1 which isn't too bad......

>It was never the intent of the
>designer to provide an antenna that provided a match on any band; his
>intent was to provide an antenna that could simply be reasonably used on
>lots of bands.  Less than optimum efficiency from a G5RV is normal.

So I've learned.  I've heard lots of people say that it's an all band
antenna and that you don't need a tuner.  It might be usable on all
bands, but I've learned it's a compromise antenna.  You sacrifice optimum
performance for being able to use it everywhere.

> Your
>vertical will be efficent if you have a ton of radials under it to minimize
>ground loss, and if the electrical length is sufficient tp present a
>resistive load ( with little reactance), somewhere close to 36 ohms for a
>quarter wave.  As the design departs from these ideals, efficiency goes to
>hell.

Well, I don't have a ton of radials.  And I don't need to either.  The
vertical is elevated above ground by about 15 feet and the radials are
all in free space, so I don't have any ground loss.

Anyhow, efficiency of the antenna is not related to the power I see on
the power meter or how much power the amp will deliver or the amp's
efficiency is it?

I still haven't seen an answer to the question of why I get better PA
efficiency with the beam than I do with the other two antennas.

As for the power numbers, yes that makes sense.  Some of the power
reflected at the antenna comes back down and re-reflects from the source
up the transmission line.  So yes, the meter would read this twice.
Makes good sense.  Seems like I now vaguely remember hearing this many
years ago.

Thanks for the help.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na