[AMPS] Amp opinion/infomation requested ASAP!!

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amp opinion/infomation requested ASAP!!
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 10:54:23 -0500

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999 22:16:36 -0700 "Michael J. Baker" <K0qz@primenet.com>
writes:

>Hello to all on the reflector;
>       I have the opportunity to obtain the following amps. I have
>indicated
>what I know (if anything) about each amp and perhaps the price that it
>might be had for.  What I want to know is there anything I should be
>aware/look for in each amp as a possible problem area and what is YOUR
>opinion of each amp as described/priced, and which ones will work the
>WARC bands (if any).  I will use your input and my own bargining to
>determine which of them I might purchase as soon as this week, so
>please
>reply ASAP.
>       Yes, I know everyone has a different opinion about a lot of
>things, but
>so far, the info I have seen here has been (mostly) thoughtfull,
>insightfull, honest, and supported by experiences, talent, and
>education.  With that said, let me introduce my choices and prices...
>
>       Dentron MLA-2500  VERY clean. Very low hours of use and most
>likely
>hasn't been on the air for several years.  Sitting on shelf.  Know who
>owned it and he took exceptional care with his gear.  Been QRT from
>the
>low bands for several years.  I am aware of the problem of getting the
>original tubes but it is cheep and I have conversion info to the
>Svetlana tubes available when these die.  Price between $300 to $400

Ill buy it at that price!
Runs OK on 30 and 17M as is, needs a few plate choke turns removed for
12M.
If you keep it loaded heavily and output at 1200W it should last a long
time. Do the usual bit when bringing up the HV for the first time.

>       Alpha 76PA  Looks pretty good.  Has marking on tune and load
>with
>colored tape that coresponds to the colored dot for each band for
>rapid
>tune up.  Unknow condition or owner.  I can open it up for inspection
>of
>the various switches and parts and look/smell for anything obvious.
>Does this amp have any history of problems?  What is tube compliment
>and
>quantity?

Has 3 8874's.

 Is it QSK?

No

 Will it do the WARC bands as is?

No, needs a different RFC if you want 17M. Nice amp with the basic PS
xfmr, the CA model has the Hypersil one.

>Price somewhere between $699 and $999 best guess.

I know someone who would buy it in most any condx.  He already has new
3CX800's if  the 8874's are bad.

.

>       AL-80A  Yep, I know about the amp generaly. 3-500Z single and
>it does
>the WARC bands, BUT, don't know the difference between the A and B
>models.  Dont know if its QSK.  Any bad habbits/tendancies?  Havent
>looked inside this one to check it out either but I can.  Price $699

Smokes bandswitches, splatters when driven hard, no bargain at $699.

GL   Carl  KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]