[AMPS] Big Tetrodes at UHF

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Big Tetrodes at UHF
From: sm2cew@telia.com (Peter Sundberg)
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 22:27:54 +0100
At 14:37 1999-03-21 -0500, Carl wrote:

>Hi Peter,
>
>Parasitics at 70cm ?  Is it possible that you were experiencing a cavity
>effect internal to the tube?  I believe that has been documented on the
>reflector in the past.  Also what is the self neutralizing frequency of
>the tube?

I think the parasitic are low frequency, definitely not 70 cm.

>I'm curious since I intend to start the design on a 70cm amp using a GE
>GL-51064 tetrode which has a plate dissipation rating of 2600W and full
>ratings to 1GHz.
>
>I am not familiar with the YL-1050 but would appreciate any help in
>placing this big  GE tube on 70 cm. Playing at that level power on UHF
>will be a new experience for me....BANG!

The YL1050 family tubes are 1.6 kW plate dissipation up to 1 GHz.
Can easily put out 2.5 - 3 kW on 70 cm and 1 kW on 23 cm.

My question in my original posting still stands though, see below.

 If a tube is "gassy" and has internal arc-overs, will these also
occur without screen voltage, i. e. all other voltages, HV, G1and
filament are on ?

73 de Peter/SM2CEW