[AMPS] CW amplifier progress (well, daydream progress) --long

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] CW amplifier progress (well, daydream progress) --long
From: w7iuv@axtek.com (Larry Molitor)
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 23:30:24 +0000
At 13:09 17-03-99 +0000, you wrote:

>               > I NEED INSTANT ON!!!  OK?
>
>Of course, it is obviously impossible for the non-technical weenies to
>actually switch the amplifier on into a standby mode when starting the
>operating session - in which case the amp is ready to go by the time you're
>comfortable in the chair and decided which band to go on..............
>

>73
>
>Peter G3RZP

Well Peter, normally I agree with your opinions, but this time I have to
disagree.

I suppose if you live in a place where it's normally so cold you have to
drink your beer warm, you might like having those filaments spewing out
BTU's for no good reason. Out here in the sand pile, it's kinda foolish to
add heat to the shack unless absolutely necessary. Even in the winter
months, a pair of 4-400A's will add enough heat to the shack over a couple
hours to require cooling of some sort. I, for one, dislike starting up the
A/C in the winter just to compensate for filaments.

In addition, current lifestyle prohibits operation for more then a few
minutes at a time, in between "family emergencies". In fact, many times I
have walked into the shack, checked the Cluster, worked and logged a couple
new band countries, in far less time then it takes to warm up the old
4CX1000.

Instant on, contesting doesn't require it, EME doesn't require it, but my
current operating schedules absolutely does require it. REPEAT: ABSOLUTELY
NECESSARY! PERIOD. Please don't be like some of the others on here and
assume your operating style is the only game in town.

If I could only own one amp (heaven forbid!) it would be an instant on
type. The latest project, converting the 4CX1000 to a YC156, will be for
those times when I need the amp to be on for hours at a time, running high
duty cycle. It will require a system of ductwork to be installed which will
remove the heat from the rack to a nice place outside. The cooling system
will be as much work to build as the rest of the amp!

P.S. Peter, next time come visit us in August !

73,

Larry - W7IUV
w7iuv@arrl.net
http://www.axtek.com/w7iuv