[AMPS] Cantenna Dummy loads

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Cantenna Dummy loads
From: mgilmer@gnlp.com (Gilmer, Mike)
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 14:02:05 -0500
Not knowing the innards of the Cantenna, may I suggest a quick test for
the usefulness of simply a bigger can of oil.  The test would be to see
if the sides of the existing Cantenna are warm after the "10 or 20
seconds" at 2KW claimed to be the maximum before VSWR change. If the
outside of the can isn't warmer than before the test started, then a
bigger can filled with more liquid will not help.  It would seem that
one would have to get the oil circulating around the resistor better to
justify a larger reservoir.  My guess is the can surface will NOT be any
warmer.

Is it true that the Cantenna's VSWR changes appreciably after 10 to 20
seconds of 2KW?

Mike N2MG