[AMPS] Ripple Current rating of Mallory Electrolytics

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Ripple Current rating of Mallory Electrolytics
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 14:24:01 -0800

>On Sun, 25 Oct 1998 22:17:29 +1100 "cd" <bearl@ozemail.com.au> writes:
>>
>>I picked up a batch of Mallory Electrolytics, They are
>>
>>450 volts DC Surge 525 vdc and are 1500MFD
>>they have a serial number of les21823-a  235 7451k

>>I do not know what this number is.
>>
>The 7451 is the only item that could be a date code..year 1974 week 51.

 1974 is rather old for electrolytics.    I would be looking very
carefully at the C of each unit as well as measuring the leakage current.
 at 525v and 450v.
>I would not recommend them for amp service, way too much
>capacity....20-25MF total is sufficient for SSB/CW service.

However, for a dual purpose ham/MARS station amplifier, where additional
power is permitted on MARS frequencies, these capacitors might be
suitable.  For example, an 8281 amplifier PS filter cap. is normally
subjected to around 11kV no load.  Thus, 2 x 13=26 450v capacitors would
be appropriate for a FWD doubler supply.  The resulting C would be
1500uF/26 = 57uF, which is in the ballpark for SSB service.

>If you do use them I would bring them up to voltage very slowly and
>monitor leakage current.

Amen, Carl.

>>I do not know how old these units are, or what there ripple current
>>rating
>>is and and what temperature.
>>Anybody Help
>>
>>Craig