[AMPS] AL80A Ip rating

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL80A Ip rating
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 98 02:24:21 -0800
>I recently picked up a very mint AL80A with a nearly dead tube. After some
>research I discovered that the Amertiron manual contradicts what Eimac
>published in their data sheet for the 3-500Z. Or am I in error?

No

>Page 4 of the AL80A manual step 12 reads"Apply enough drive to indicate
>either 1000 watts of output power or 200 mA of grid current. Re-peak the
>LOAD and PLATE controls. The grid current must not be over 200mA, the
>plate current over 550mA or the output over 1200 watts."
>
>My Eimac 3-500Z spec sheet states that for class AB2 cathode driven max dc
>plate voltage is 4kvdc, max Ip is 0.4 amps, plate dissipation is 500
>watts, and grid dissipation is 20 watts.

This is what my spec. sheet says, Lane.

>How does the operator achieve "1000 watts of output power" out of an amp
>running a single 3-500Z at an Ep of 3100 vdc??

To obtain 1000w of output power in linear service, a higher supply
potential than 3100v  would undoubtedly be needed.

> Isn't 200mA on the grid kinda high for a single bottle??

I doubt that it would damage the grid.

>What about 550mA of Ip??

Fantasyland.  When driven to 550mA, a 3-500Z is undoubtedly not linear.
However, overdriving the tube would not be likely to shorten life.  The
most common life-shortener is either too much filament voltage, or a bent
(fil.-grid shorted) filament helix due to intermittent VHF instability.
If the tube has low emission, it might be interesting to measure the fil.
potential at pins 1 and 5 on the tube socket.

>I am trying to prevent these same problems from re-occuring. The previous
>owner is an old time ham who bought a new AL-82. The problems with the
>AL80A don't seem to be the amp but they seem to be the INSTRUCTIONS.

.   The person responsible for writing those instructions claimed that he
has a letter from Eimac confirming the higher Ip (anode current) rating.
I asked him to post the letter.  If you guessed that he did not,
congrats.

>Comments and opinions most welcome. I am not an "old salt" when it comes
>to these amps but something doesn't jive.

Indeed.  Some people are apparently better able to deal with reality than
others.

-  later, Lane

Rich...