[AMPS] neutralization

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] neutralization
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Sun, 18 May 97 10:32:47 -0700

>> The Warrior and the Gonset were thought to be neutralized.  However, they
>> were not and they were not stable.  The SB-200 and the SB-220 were not
>> "neutralized" because someone at Heath came to their senses.
>
>The SB-200 was not neutralized because it was only two 572B tubes. ...snip...

The Ameritron AL-1200 uses only one tube.  An acquaintenace owns two
Ameritron AL-1200  amplifiers.  The older AL-1200 was not neutralized.
The newer one came with Mr. Rauch's alleged "neutralziation" circuit.
This circuit is not found in *Care and Feeding of Power Grid Tubes*.
The acquaintenance telephoned me and ordered a suppressor retrofit kit
for a 3CX1200A7.  I asked him which amplifier was having problems.  If
you guessed that it was the allegedly "neutralized" version,
congratulations.
 I liked Ian White's comment that, due to phase shift, every
negative-feedback [neutralization] circuit (at the fundamental frequency)
becomes a positive-feedback [regeneration] circuit at some higher
frequency.   In my experience, I found that such resonances can readily
discovered with a dipmeter.   Mr. Rauch's rejects, out-of-hand, all
resonances discovered with dipmeters.  In my un-"expert" opinion, Rauch's
explanation does not wash.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K