[AMPS] Part 97 - 1500 watts

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Part 97 - 1500 watts
From: RobertW@ewol.com (Robert W. Stankus)
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 19:13:04 -0500
The 1500 watt power level is always measured at the RF output terminal
of the amplifier in question. Nowhere else.
To think of measuring this power level at the antenna (RF Amps) is out
of the question. Most...and I say most, antennas are usually fed at
points above the ground...except verticals.
I know of no FCC R.I. who will go airborne for this measurement!
Anyway, why worry about it. Today the FCC has neither the manpower or
resources to even think of this problem.
The last serious "super power station" investigation was a New Jersey
amateur. The judge ruled in favor of the defendant because the FCC used
measuring equipment that was not certified as to accuracy, such as the
familar NBS seal!
I used to deal with the FCC in Norfolk on a regular basis because of our
association with a Richmond FM station. Jerry Freeman visited on several
occasions. We miss ole W4JJ since he joined the ranks of Silent Keys.
He prided himself on regulations and they being adhered to. If you kept
a clean operating system and followed all the rules...then he was a dear
friend. Not many understood Jerry.

Bob - K4NV
RobertW@ewol.com