3830

[3830] KsQP K0I(KI0I) Portable LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] KsQP K0I(KI0I) Portable LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 19:43:05 +0000
                    Kansas QSO Party - 2022

Call: K0I
Operator(s): KI0I
Station: K0I/P

Class: Portable LP
QTH: KS
Operating Time (hrs): 14:48

   80:    96     4
   40:   747    52
   20:   911   356      4
   15:    35
   10:
    6:
----------------------------
Total:  1789   412      4  Mults = 56  Total Score = 347,368

Club: Kansas City Contest Club

Comments:

Wierd band condx this year, the Sunday flare knocked it all down even my cell
fone went kaput.
I sat on a 4 county spot Saturday and cooked in the bed of my truck under the
camper shell HI! A nice wind all day saved my life. Sunday I left the hotel in
Garnett in a raging tstorm and drove west 30min to my 3 county setup. As I got
to the spot the rain had ended and the sun came out , perfect timing.
I`d had enuff of sitting on a cooler in the back of truck so Sunday i set up
radio for sitting in drivers seat of pickup, much better!
Saturday I put up a 135` dipole fed with ladder line to a balanced tuner ,it
worked FB I thot. Sunday I was lazy and put a big screwdriver antenna made by
NO5E on a RCVR hitch mount and I think it was good enuff seeing the band was
crap anyway.
I made a lot of qso and had fun , thats always a good outcome and the goal. And
no smoke escaped from the gear!
Had some surprises like NL7WK blasting in at 2200z Saturday sounding like a
local! And working LA8OM on 20m then NW0M in MO the next qso , then MA then WA ,
it was crazy propagation.
A big thanks to Bob W0BH again this yr for all the work he puts in for us to
enjoy one of the best QP`s in the country!!! I hope you never grow tired of the
task and do it many more years!
Thanks to all who made the log and for your patience those I needed repeats of.
To the mobiles, rovers and portables, special thanks for your efforts and
expense put forth. Gas is a bigger factor now than in past years.

This year's gear: Icom 7300 100w powered by 2 huge (100lb each) batteries
boosted by N8XJK unit.
Dell laptop powered on a big deep cycle marine battery.A few freezes of ptt but
no restarts needed this year.
Saturday antenna a 130`dipole at 30` fed with ladder line and matched with a mfj
974hb balanced tuner.
Sunday antenna was NO5E built 4" coil screwdriver on a homebrew rcvr hitch
mount.
A Begali simplex used for comments and fills (I can`t get used to only a
keyboard with no paddle to use).
73 all ,
I hope to play radio in Kansas again next year!
Mark KI0I - alias K0I